Frequently Asked Questions

How do I vote in Shrewsbury Township?
Shrewsbury Township consists of two (2) polling or voting districts. Your voter registration card lists which district you are located in.  If you have questions you can call York County Voter Registration at 717 771-9604. Precinct 1 votes at the New Hope Fissel’s United Church, 3426 Fissels Church Road, Glen Rock, PA 17327, and Precinct 2 votes at Grace Fellowship Church, 74 E. Forest Avenue, Shrewsbury, PA 17361.  Not sure of your voting locations, try the State’s Polling Location Interactive Tool.

What are the township’s trash/recycling pickup schedules?
Trash should be placed at curbside no later than 6:00 a.m. on your assigned trash day, Thursday or Friday. Republic Services observes Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Those holidays will result in your pickup being delayed by one (1) day that week. You may purchase extra bags at the Shrewsbury Township office, which can use for grass clippings also. Recycling carts are provided by Republic Services and should be placed curbside with your trash (and large item), also no later than 6:00 a.m. on your collection day. Click here for more information.

How do I know if I live in Shrewsbury Township?
Shrewsbury Township surrounds the Boroughs of Shrewsbury, Railroad, New Freedom, and Glen Rock, which are independent incorporated municipalities with their own forms of government.  The villages and developments within Shrewsbury Township are Seitzland, Centerville, Hametown, Bon Air, Southern Farms, Fielding Manor, Forest Lakes, Heritage Farms, Hilltop, Keeney, Oakwood, and Strawberry Fields. The city zip codes of 17327 (Glen Rock), 17349 (New Freedom), 17361 (Shrewsbury), and 17363 (Stewartstown) serve Shrewsbury Township.  If you are not sure if you are a resident of the Township, one of the easiest ways to confirm is to look at your Per Capita tax bill, or your Real Estate tax bill.  Both will state Shrewsbury TOWNSHIP, and the real estate tax parcel UPI Number will begin with the digits 45…..

What do I need to know about my septic system?
Septic systems must be pumped every four (4) years and reported to the township.  See Septic / Sewer for details.

Where can I find Shrewsbury Township’s census/demographic information?
Latest information: 2010 Census

I have noticed more out-of-state plates in my community. It appears that these people are renters and keep their cars registered in the state of Maryland. If they are residing and living in Pennsylvania, don’t they need to register their vehicles with PennDOT?
New residents of Pennsylvania who hold a valid driver’s license from another state in the United States must get a Pennsylvania Driver’s License within 60 days after moving to PA and surrender their out-of-state driver’s license and/or ID card. If you are a new resident of Pennsylvania and your prior state’s driver’s license has been expired for more than six months or you do not possess your prior state’s driver’s license you will be required to apply for a PA Learner’s Permit and take the Vision, Knowledge and Road Tests.

Why does the township use calibrated chip on roads?
The answer to this question is almost pure economics, although there is additional traction when roads are chipped.  The cost to asphalt versus chip for 1 mile of road 20 feet wide is approximately $96,000 for asphalt resurfacing to approximately $57,000 for calibrated chip, a saving of approximately $39,000 per mile.

What can be done about eradicating gypsy moths?
You can learn more at the York County Gypsy Moth Suppression Program.

Do I need a building permit for replacing my roof shingles?
Only if you are making structural changes as part of the roof replacement.  If it is only the shingles, you don’t need a building permit.

How do I dispose of old propane tanks?
Residents who need to get rid of old gas grill propane tanks, can call York County Solid Waste Authority for a list of retailers that accept them.  The list can also be viewed on